Food Bullying Podcast
If you’re a person who always wanted to know more about the behind-the-scenes work that happens at the farms that produce your food, this episode will open your eyes.
In our conversation, we cover:
- What does “a sustainable farm” look like?
- Why Ryan decided to farm organically
- The potential and pitfalls of a farm going organic
- The “behind the scenes” work and knowledge that goes into running a farm
- Organic vs. Conventional vs. GMO farming and why all choices are right
- Food bullying in agriculture
- Food label fibs e.g. popcorn is not a GMO
[3:19] What do you grow on your farm?
[4:52] What is a transitional crop?
[7:32] Why did you decide to go to organic?
[12:32] Is organic the only way to go?
[13:37] Are GMO’s wrong?
[16:25] All the technology and science that goes into running a farm
[19:32] Dealing with criticism as an organic farmer
[25:00] 3 quick tips for overcoming bullying
Fabulous Guest Quotes
“The hardest thing about organic is insurance…”
“I think the industry has made a mistake in using GMOs as the “easy” button.”
“Organic takes a lot of labor, a lot of work, and a lot of time…”
“One thing the American farmer is really good at is taking a market…”
Links to Check Out
Food Bullying: How to Avoid Buying BS by Michele Payn