Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Leslie Bonci is back with the truth about immunity-boosting foods, why your gut health is essential, and, of course – lots of laughs with Michele and Eliz! There’s a reason she returns as a three-peat guest – and this episode will help you overcome food bullying during the pandemic.
Leslie Bonci is a registered dietitian and a board-certified specialist in sports dietetics. She is the nutrition consultant for the Kansas City Chiefs, Carnegie Mellon University athletics, and the Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre – and helps power a wide variety of athletes with smart nutrition. Listen in, and learn how Leslie’s food insight can help you make smart eating choices, during COVID-19 and beyond.
There is no such thing as an immune-boosting food:
- We can support our health with good nutrition, but we can’t cure a cold, flu, or other illness with food.
- Your immune system is in your gut.
- Carbohydrates are critically important – your microbiome flourishes when fed carbs!
- Eating fermentable carbohydrates produces prebiotics
- We need enough protein, divided throughout the day to produce antibodies.
- Omega 3 fats are essential, too.
- Whole fruits and vegetables supply fluid, calories, carbs, fiber, and disease-fighting phytonutrients.
Stocking “wealth on the shelf”
- Eat well with what you have.
- Canned, frozen, and dried fruits and vegetables are excellent sources of nutrition.
- Stocking your shelf is great for budget-minded nutrition,
- Mix canned or frozen items with fresh to stretch your food dollars: produce, dried milk, canned beans, etc.
- Don’t feel you need to have the brand name.
- A dollar store can also be a great source.
Three tips to overcome food bullying
- Enjoy your food!
- Everybody and every food has a place at the table.
- Sometimes put your hands over your ears and say “enough”. #DebunkTheJunk
Have you liked the Food Bullying Podcast’s Facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/foodbullyingpodcast
Food Bullying: How to Avoid Buying BS by Michele Payn
Embrace your Heart with Eliz Greene