Get immediate help
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-TALK (8255) or text HOME to 741741
- Text Line for Suicide Prevention: Text HELPNOW to 20121
- How to Navigate a Mental Health Crisis (downloadable guide)
- Text NAMI to 741-741: Connect with a trained crisis counselor to receive free, 24/7 crisis support via text message.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline – Call 800-799-SAFE (7233)
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration: 1-800-662-4357
- Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255, press 1
- Farm and Rural Stress Hotline at 1-800-691-4336
- Find an international suicide hotline here if not in the U.S.
Mental health links
Apps to help protect your health
- Calm Harm: Walks you through steps to help you reset and helps you breathe.
- Headspace: Hundreds of meditations for stress, sleep, focus, anxiety, and more.
- Fabulous: Helps you build healthy habits into your day to protect your physical and mental well-being.
- Noisili: Improve focus and boost productivity with different sounds to create the perfect work.
- Moment: Reduce your screen time with short, daily exercises to help you use your device in a more healthy way.
- Aloe Bud: organize your thoughts with small, simple reflection prompts to help micro-journal how you're feeling each day.
- How to talk to a suicide loss survivor
- Active Minds: Supporting mental health education and awareness for students
- Admitting you have a mental health problem (Country Guide)
- A Look at Depression (Montana Farm Bureau)
- Still Standing: Opening up about suicide (Minnesota Soybean)
- 5 Mental Health Podcasts You Should Listen to
- NASD Mental Health and the Impact for Farm Families Collection
- Behavorial Health Problems of Farm People Differ from the General Population
- 10 Ways to Take Care of Your Mental Health on the Farm
- Widow of American farmer is trying to erase the stigma of mental health in the heartland
- Resiliency for Agriculture: Michele's new motivational keynote to bring hope, healing, and humor to agricultural groups.
FB Lives about mental health in ag
Disclaimer: This is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you are in crisis, please visit your local emergency room or call 911.
Books from Michele
Are others making you feel guilty about your food choices? This book reveals the $5.75 trillion secret that food marketers and celebrity spokespeople don’t want you to know. What if the claims about the food you’ve been led to believe is superior are actually B.S. (bull speak)? Food has become a battleground where marketing labels and misinformation is used to bully and demonize people around their eating choices. This startling look at the misrepresentation of food sheds light on bogus nutrition and environmental claims to help you recognize bullies and defend your food choices. More about Food Bullying...
Don't believe everything you’re being told about food—most of it is highly misleading or completely untrue. This IPPY bronze medal book identifies marketing half-truths and guides you through the aisles of the grocery store to help you simplify smart food shopping. Named a #1 best seller and a hot new release on Amazon, Food Truths from Farm to Table is a book written to turn confusion into clarity. More about this book...
Food fights might seem entertaining, but there’s nothing funny about the fights taking place over food production. Resource limitations, animal welfare and biotechnology are just a few issues cropping up to create confusion in the grocery store. Ultimately, both farmers and food buyers are making a personal choice, and author Michele Payn calls for decorum instead of mayhem in the conversation around farm and food in this two-sided book. More about No More Food Fights!...